Vivian Hua (華婷婷) is a writer, filmmaker, and organizer. As the Executive Director of Northwest Film Forum in Seattle, a Co-Founder of the civil rights film series, The Seventh Art Stand, and Editor-in-Chief of the interdisciplinary arts publication, REDEFINE, much of her work unifies her metaphysical interests with her belief that art can positively transform the self and society. Her recent narrative short film, Searching Skies, touches on the controversial topic of Syrian refugee resettlement in the United States. She is currently writing a short-form episodic series entitled Reckless Spirits, as well as researching national efforts to preserve and create cultural space.
Craft a scene or sequence (written or filmed) where an unexpected guest arrives at a family dinner for Thanksgiving or another significant holiday in your cultural practices for a chance to win a trip for two to the Sundance Film Festival and other prizes. Sponsored by Backstage
Submit a written scene/sequence (maximum 10 pages) or a video (maximum 8 mins) by December 16, 2019. This is an opportunity to create a turning point for your main character, introduce a new character, and reveal the family/group dynamic before and after it's disrupted by this guest.
Your written work cannot exceed 10 pages and short films should be under 8 minutes.
Deadline to submit: December 16, 2019 at 12PM/Noon PST.
Our monthly challenges are open to everyone in the Sundance Co//ab community. One entry per person, per challenge. All submissions will be viewable to the community. All submissions will be given equal consideration and the final winner will be determined by the consensus of the designated jurors.
Only those submissions that meet the criteria outlined in the submission guidelines can be selected as the winner.
The challenge closes on December 16, 2019 at 12PM/Noon PST.
Winner will receive:
- Trip for two to attend Sundance Co//ab event at Sundance Film Festival from January 30 to February 1, 2020. Prize includes roundtrip airfare within US and accommodation for two nights. (See rules for complete details)
- A one-on-one mentoring session with a Sundance Advisor
- All Access Membership (12 months) which includes:
- Online Master Classes - One free registration to every monthly online Master Class ($900 value)
- Online Courses * - Save 50% on first multi-week, live Online Course and 25% on each subsequent course (* Fees apply)
- Member-only Events - Access to online Member-only events
- Live Events - Priority access to select live Sundance learning events
- Winning entry featured prominently on Sundance Co//ab
- A Featured Casting Notice on Backstage.com and in Backstage’s print magazine. ($500 value)
Runner ups (two will be selected) - Sundance Co//ab Annual Membership (12 months)
One entry per person, per monthly challenge. The limits for monthly challenge submissions are the following: scripts – 10 page limit; video – 8 minute limit; audio/podcast– 8 minute limit
Videos: Accepted video file formats: AVI , FLV, MOV, MP4 or MPEG-2. Note: If you choose to upload a .MOV file make sure that it is not using the Apple ProRes compression. We do not support reading Apple ProRes files or raw camera formats like ARRI and RED at this time.
Scripts: PDF format only, please
Other: If your file format fits outside these formats, please contact us and we will see if we can accommodate it.
(Please do not use copyrighted material without permission as part of this monthly challenge.)
SUNDANCE CO//AB CHALLENGE: THE DISRUPTOR
SPONSORED BY THE SUNDANCE INSTITUTE, INC. (“Sponsor”)
CO-SPONSORED BY BACKSTAGE (“Supporting Sponsor”)
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
Open to legal residents of the United States (excluding Alaska), who are 18 years of age or older as of 10/01/2019. Void where prohibited by law.
- HERE’S HOW TO ENTER:
- "Sundance Co//ab December Challenge: The Disruptor” will begin on Sunday, December 1, 2019, at 12:00:01 a.m. PT and will end at 12:00:00 p.m. PT on Monday, December 16, 2019.
- The Sundance Co//ab is not responsible for lost, illegible, incomplete, or late entries, internet service outages, delays, equipment malfunctions, or any other technological difficulties that may prevent an individual from completing his/her registration.
- To participate in the Challenge, you can register and join Sundance Co//ab by clicking one of the buttons in the section above. Then click to the Challenge page (https://collab.sundance.org/monthly-challenge) and follow the instructions for completing your official entry form and uploading your written work or video. Your entry must represent new, original work created by the entrant within the last 12 months.
- One entry per person is permitted regardless of membership status.
- You may enter only once. You must provide the information requested to enter and if you are selected as a winner. You may not enter more than once by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Sundance Institute. ENTRANTS MUST USE THEIR OWN EMAIL ACCOUNT REGISTERED IN THEIR OWN NAME AND NOT AN ACCOUNT OWNED BY ANY OTHER PARTY.
- Joining Sundance Co//ab does not require the optional paid membership option, and registrants may opt out of receiving any future email solicitations.
- Eligibility Restrictions
- The Challenge is open to all persons who are 19 years of age or older as of October 1, 2019. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. The Drawing is open to legal residents of the United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Alaska) and is offered only in the United States. Employees of Sundance Institute, Backstage, Southwest Airlines and the members of their immediate families and/or households are ineligible to enter or win. The Challenge is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Entrants are required to provide truthful information. Sundance Co//ab will disqualify any entry from individuals who do not meet the eligibility requirements.
- During the week of December 30, 2019, one (1) Grand Prize winner will be announced to receive one (1) Travel prize for winner and one (1) guest to travel to Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah from January 30, 2020 through February 2, 2020. The prize consists of (i) round-trip air travel on Southwest Airlines® for winner and one (1) guest to Salt Lake City, Utah (the “Destination”) from the closest major U.S. airport to the winner’s residence served by Southwest Airlines (subject to Air Travel Restrictions set forth below, as determined by Sponsor (if winner resides within 300 miles of the Destination where flights are not an option, the winner will be responsible for transportation to the event and prize package taxation will be adjusted accordingly); (ii) two (2) tickets to a Sundance Festival film screening; (iii) two (2) tickets to the Sundance Co//ab Event; (iv) a two (2)-night stay in one (1) room at Park City Peaks Hotel on January 30 and February 1, 2020 (vi) and one (1) goody bag of Sundance Co//ab branded merchandise. No other benefits will be provided. Winner is responsible for all food and incidentals. Certain travel restrictions may apply. Winner will be responsible for transportation to and from destination and departure airports. If closest departure airport is Salt Lake City International Airport, no airfare will be awarded. No prize substitutions, cash equivalent, or transfer of prizes permitted except at the sole discretion of the drawing entities. Prize subject to availability and the drawing entities reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to award a prize of greater or equal value if the advertised prize is unavailable. The prize valued contributed by Sundance Co//ab of $1,265 will be taxable to the drawing winner and will be reported to the IRS on a form 1099-MISC. Winner and any travel companion must travel on the same itinerary and are responsible for obtaining all required travel documents. Winner and guest must sign a liability waiver and travel release form upon winning and prior to traveling.
- In the event that a prize or prize certificate is mailed to the winner, it will be with the prior written consent of the winner and, therefore, winner assumes the risk of its loss. Sundance Co//ab is not responsible for the safe arrival of a prize or prize certificate.
- Travel Prize Restrictions. Trip must be taken on dates of Sponsor’s sole choosing so as to attend the 2020 Sundance Film Festival between January 30, 2020 - February 2, 2020. If winner is not available to travel on such dates, prize will be forfeited without compensation of any kind and an alternate winner will be selected from among all remaining eligible entries received. All other unspecified expenses are solely the responsibility of winner. Guest must be 18 years of age or older. Winner and guest must possess required travel documents (e.g., a picture i.d.) prior to departure. Trip is subject to availability and other restrictions. Winner and guest must travel on same itinerary, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Passes to movies and Sundance Co//ab event are subject to terms/conditions indicated thereon. Prize consists of only the items specifically listed above. No substitution or transfer of prize by winner permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize component/prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize component/prize is unavailable for any reason (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion). All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of winner.
- Air Travel Restrictions: Air travel is subject to Southwest Airlines terms and conditions; certain restrictions may apply. Round trip travel for two (2) on Southwest Airlines will be awarded in the form of four (4) Southwest flight e-passes. Each Southwest flight e-pass is valid for one-way travel on Southwest Airlines-operated, published, scheduled service in the United States and Puerto Rico. The Southwest flight e-pass will bear the date of issue and the date of expiration. Expiration dates will not be extended, and travel must be completed on or before the expiration date. The Southwest flight e-pass is not valid on interline or codeshare service. The Southwest flight e-pass is non-refundable and is not redeemable for cash or credit. The Southwest flight e-pass will not be replaced for any reason, including, without limitation, if lost, stolen, or fraudulently used. The Southwest flight e-pass is non-transferrable and cannot be sold to a third party. Sale, auction, or re-tendering of the Southwest flight e-pass for money or otherwise is strictly prohibited. The Southwest flight e-pass may not be used for promotional purposes unless previously approved by Southwest Airlines. Any suspected fraud, misrepresentation, misuse, abuse or violation of the Southwest flight e-pass rules and regulations may result in cancellation of the Southwest flight e-pass(es). Southwest flight e-pass holders are required to be nineteen (19) years of age or older and a legal U.S. resident. Air transportation by Southwest Airlines is subject to Southwest Airlines’ Passenger Contract of Carriage set out at www.southwest.com/contractofcarriage. If the winner does not live in a city served by Southwest Airlines, he/she is responsible for transportation to and from the nearest airport served by Southwest Airlines. Winner is responsible for booking all travel and paying all applicable international taxes and fees. Travel is based on seat availability. Seats on any desired flight are not guaranteed. Winner and guest(s) must travel on the same itinerary and are responsible for obtaining all required travel documents. Winner and guest must have valid government-issued photo identification at the time of travel. If the travel guest is a minor, winner must be his/her parent/guardian, or be accompanied by his/her parent/guardian.
- Grand Prize winner will also receive a 1:1 mentoring session with a Sundance Advisor, an All Access Membership to Sundance Co//ab valid for 12 months (value $550) and a Featured Casting Notice on Backstage.com and in Backstage’s print magazine. ($500 value). These prizes are non transferable.
- Two runners up will each receive a non transferable 12 month Annual Membership ($99 value) to Sundance Co//ab.
- Selection of Winners
- Winner Selection: Impartial third party Judges who are leading specialists in the creative areas covered by the Competition will be appointed by Sundance Co//ab, and their names will be made available after announcement of the winners. The independent Judges shall not be directly affiliated with the Sponsor or Supporting Sponsor. The Judges will review all entries and rate them based upon the following criteria: Originality, Artistry, Character, Dramatic Content, and alignment with Challenge direction. Six semi-finalists entries will be selected and then one Grand Prize winner and two runners up. Decisions of the Judges are final and binding in all respects and not subject to appeal.
- Estimated odds of winning are determined by the number of eligible entries received.
- Winner Notification: Winner will be notified via email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. Sundance Institute shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk email, or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within two (2) days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, including a signed copy of these Rules, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Challenge is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
- Challenge Sponsor: Sundance Institute, 1500 Kearns Blvd., Suite B-110, Park City, UT 84060. Southwest Airlines Co. is not a sponsor, co-sponsor or administrator of this Drawing.
- GENERAL RULES: Employees, officers and directors of Backstage, Sundance Institute, their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers, other entities involved in the development, implementation or fulfillment of the Challenge and the immediate family members (mother, father, sister, brother, husband, wife, daughter, son, step-father, step-mother, step-daughter, step-son, step-brother, step-sister, half-brother, half-sister) and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible. Potential Grand Prize winner will be required to complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability and a Publicity Release (unless prohibited by law) within five (5) days of notification. Non-compliance within this time period will result in disqualification and an alternate Grand Prize winner will be selected. Guest of winner must sign and return a Release of Liability and a Publicity Release (unless prohibited by law) prior to the issuance of travel documents. Return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected.
Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to the Sponsor and its agencies to use winner's name, image, likeness, photograph and other indicia of persona for purposes of advertising, publicity and trade without further compensation or notice, unless prohibited by law. By accepting prize, winner agrees to hold Backstage, Sundance Institute, their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and the directors, officers, shareholders, representatives, employees, successors and assigns of any of the above organizations, harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of participation in the Challenge, participation in any Challenge-related activity or acceptance, possession, receipt, or use/misuse of the prize. Sponsor and its agencies have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to the prize (and/or components of same) including but not limited to its quality, merchantability or fitness for the intended purpose. By participating in this Challenge, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of judges and Sponsor.
Any dispute, claim or cause of action arising under this Challenge or these Official Rules shall be brought in the federal or state courts of , and such courts shall apply the internal, substantive law of Utah in adjudicating any such dispute/claim/cause of action. To the fullest extent permitted by law, by entering, you agree (a) to the jurisdiction of such courts; (b) to bring any action individually (NOT as part of a class action); (c) that in any such dispute/claim/cause of action, your recovery shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, with any right to special, indirect, incidental, consequential, punitive or other damages and/or attorneys’ fees being waived.