Directing: Visual Storytelling
Applications are now closed. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, September 21 at 2pm PT.
Learn how to tell your story visually and hone your unique creative voice with an experienced instructor as your guide. In this live online course, you will develop an in-depth lookbook showcasing your visual style for your film or series.
In class sessions, you will review clips that demonstrate exemplary visual storytelling, learn about the fundamentals, complete interactive exercises, and discuss core concepts with course advisors. Weekly homework designed to prepare you with the critical tools to employ an intentional visual approach to your work will be reviewed by your advisor.
By the end of the eight-week course, you will:
- examine your script from a visual perspective.
- make visual decisions and determine the style for your project.
- practice techniques for communicating your vision to different audiences.
- know how to apply tools for research and pre-visualization.
- understand the fundamentals of composition, camera movement, color, lenses and lighting and how they shape your story.
This course is ideal for:
- directors, writers, producers and early stage DPs seeking to learn the language of visual storytelling.
- directors and producers seeking the tools to make visual decisions and/or gain confidence in communicating their vision and presenting their project.
Course enrollment is capped at 48 participants, with a participant-to-advisor ratio of not more than 12:1. To apply, you should have a film or series that you would like to work on for developing a lookbook throughout the course.
The course will be held live in our virtual classroom. All sessions are recorded for registered participants who are unable to attend live.
- DURATION: Eight weeks, October 12 - December 6
- SCHEDULE: Monday, 9am - 11am PT
- Extended first class session: Monday, October 12, 9am - 12:00pm PT
- Extended last class session: Monday, November 23, 9am - 12:00pm PT
- One-on-one mentoring sessions are held between Nov 30 - Dec 6
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, September 21 at 2pm PT
Bill Dill is an award-winning cinematographer. His first feature film, SIDEWALK STORIES, won international acclaim at film festivals worldwide, including the Berlin and Swedish Film Festivals, and premiered at the Cannes Film Festival and won the Prix Du Public at that festival. In addition to his numerous other feature film credits, his work in television includes the American Playhouse production of FIRES IN THE MIRROR, a Pulitzer Prize finalist. more...